Research on Social Media and Learning Communities: What topic did you research from the task above? What social media platform did you use, and what learning communities did you find?

For our pod group project, we will research the astronomy learning community on Tiktok. We have found that it is quite a big community with so much information ranging from black holes to galaxies far away. I have found lots of younger adult accounts explaining different things about astronomy, and I find it fascinating how people close to my age know so much about such an interesting topic. 

Photo by Jeremy Thomas on Unsplash

Building Your Personal Learning Network (PLN): What social media platforms do you use or plan to use to build your personal learning network (PLN)? How do platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Reddit, or Youtube help you connect with others and stay updated?

I mostly use Instagram as my main social media platform. I am planning on developing my PLN through an Instagram account as I know how to navigate and tailor it to my liking. Instagram helps me connect with things I’m interested in because I am notified often when a new post drops or a story is up. I enjoy using Instagram because of the “live” feature. Big creators or professional accounts can go live, and I like to watch these with my new Instagram account I have created to follow business entrepreneurs for this class. I am able to learn valuable insights and tips on things I am interested in which is great for me. I also think YouTube is a valuable tool because I enjoy watching videos compared to reading articles. YouTube helps me to stay informed because I am notified when videos are posted. I often find that YouTube videos are very relatable, making them easier to understand and comprehend.

Protecting Your Information and Ensuring Ethical Behaviour: How do you protect your information and ensure ethical behaviour in your PLN? Discuss any security measures you take to keep a safe and trustworthy digital environment.

I am protecting my information in my PLN by using a username which is different from my name. This makes it harder for people to track me. I also use a random profile picture to protect my identity. I also make sure what I am commenting on is ethical and appropriate. Being aware of how Instagram stores and collects information also helps me to be ethical and safe in what I do online. Since it is hard to make an account that is untraceable to the user, being aware of how to protect one’s info online is very important for the user’s safety. Being mindful of accounts and posts helps to keep a good digital environment and a “clean” digital identity.

Privacy Concerns and Online Participation: Do/How do privacy concerns affect your willingness to join online communities or share information?

Privacy concerns affect my willingness greatly to join online accounts or communities. I am typically very conscious of social media privacy concerns because I know so much info is stored and with AI, unwanted info can be given to these companies. This stops me from joining certain social media platforms like Twitter because I don’t want companies to get and store my personal info. I am also mindful when it comes to sharing info online because what you say can negatively affect you if a person takes it the wrong way.

Video by MAPPING Awareness Campaign